How to Set Up Basic Social Media
Social media is changing the way small businesses can reach out to their raving customers. Social media has so much to offer small businesses like increased exposure, increased traffic, brand recognition, lead generation and creating a community of loyal raving customers/fans.
Social Networking Explained Very Basically! If you are new to the idea social media we would HIGHLY suggest you check this out to get a grasp of the ideas and concepts behind this fantastic work of networking.
There will always be social media networks popping up and appear and this is why the landscape of social media is always changing. as of now there are 13 social media networks and these 13 are:
Now first of all, don’t be overwhelmed because just because there are 13 doesn’t mean you need to or should be on all 13. With social media it is more about quality and effort put in than anything else and so that is why r where your target audience spend their time and focusing on those outlets. The point of social media is to drive awareness to your brand and provide an outlet for your business to have a voice and use that voice to be social with your customers. So choosing the best places to put your time effort and money into is super crucial.
There are little tricks that you can use to stay organizes and not waste time or money on social media. Brandon from Slingshot can show you some below:
Here are some tips from Shopify to help you decide where to put your efforts into depending on your business:
One of the fast growing segments on the Internet is the community-building sites where like-minded people can network, communicate one-to-many, and share ideas. Look at Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, etc. They are all groups of people linking together with people they like, are interested in, and trust! Understanding what the difference is of each and how to use them is critical.
We tend to believe information we hear from other people, much more so than traditional advertising. The public has a strong level of distrust for slogans and campaigns. They want and value information, but are asking for a problem to be solved, not to be sold. They want to be informed so they can evaluate and decide. This points to the importance of word-of-mouth as a critical component of any communications effort. The market and public are moving towards this mode of communication and away from traditional marketing. Pay and pray is no longer working.
Some people are jumping right in to social networking and yet many people have been slow to jump on board with the whole social marketing trend. So what is social networking and how do you use it?
Let go over the how to setup the two most popular and the how to manage them.
Linkedin is a professional network where BUSINESS people connect, one where you would place your PROFESSIONAL and business details and history. This is where most people go to find out what you have done in your professional life and connect and attract like minded business people. When in this network you would be business conscientious as if you were at a business mixer, business meeting or presentation.
Networking here is for new business partnerships jobs, and long-term professional relationships.
Presentation in this network is business like. Most pictures are in business suits or business casual. Appropriate actions would be placing your business in your profile, describing what you are doing professionally and networking with peers.
Inappropriate actions in this network would be posting what you are doing outside of business, over hyping your product or continually selling your product or service, complaining or using the network to join other people’s networks because of their influence for your gain without being of service.
Depending on your goals and personality, this network is typically closely guarded with only hand shakable contacts in it – people you know and trust.
How to Create A Public Profile On LinkedIn
- Create a LinkedIn account and profile by entering your personal and professional information and pressing the “Join Now” button or open your existing LinkedIn account.Go to your home page and locate the site map, a rectangular box that is made up of several categories.
- Find the “My Profile” category within the site map and click on the “Edit My Public Profile” link. Make it Public
- Create your public profile via the “Edit My Public Profile link.
- Keep the current URL designated to you or choose your own.
- Customize your URL by entering 5 to 30 alphabet letters, numbers or a mix of both. Only follow this step if you did not pick to keep the designated URL.
- Click on the “Set Address” button to personalize your URL address.
- Pick a “Basic View” or a “Full View” of your public profile by selecting one of the radio. You may also opt for the “None” radio button, which turns your profile off from public view.
- Choose the “Basic View” for a default public profile. The “Full View” profile is recommended to maximize your exposure on the LinkedIn network. Be sure to include links to YOUR business and websites.
- Check all the categories you wish to include in your “Full View” public profile by clicking boxes within the check box.
- Press the “Save Changes” button to successfully update your public profile
- Click on the “View My Profile as Others See It” link to review your public profile.
Facebook is a more relaxed network where people you have many different types of contacts find out what you are doing socially and professionally. But mostly it is socially. This is where people go to find out what you are doing today to stay connected – family, friends and people you feel comfortable inviting to a party or social event.
Networking here is all social, what are your kids doing, what vacations did you go on, did you learn anything of interest that you might want to share, and many things that you would talk about at a social event. Be careful what you post here if you are running a business!
When in this network you would be socially conscientious as if you were at picnic, party, or at a social event.
Appropriate actions would be describing what you are doing in general, tips for others, links to great articles you just read, posting jokes, talking about your business product or services on occasion, and communicating with your friends and contacts all at one time.
Inappropriate actions in this network usually are continually selling your product or service to your network or using your connections to write on their walls about your product or service. This is the quickest way to get removed from someone’s network.
Depending on your goals and personality, this network is typically less guarded and people who are met during other social events might be added.
How to Create A Public Profile On Facebook
- Start at the homepage. When you go to Facebook.com, you see a screen that asks you to login or sign up for a free account. Click on “Sign Up,” which takes you to a Web form.
- Wait for your confirmation email. Facebook sends this email to confirm your registration. When you get the email, click on the link in the email to confirm that you did in fact register for a Facebook account. You will then be logged into Facebook.
- Search for friends and coworkers. When you first set up a Facebook account, you have the opportunity to search your email address book for possible friends and contacts. Type in your email address and password to do a search, or try searching by school or company.
- Use the same information that you used in setting up your Linkedin profile.
How To Create A Facebook Page For Your Business
Step 1: Create a Page from your account
- Cick the arrow in the top-right corner
- Choose Create Page
Step 2: Choose a business category for your Page
Select the type of Page you want to create from the following categories:
- Local Business
- Company, Organization or institution
- Brand or Product
- Artist, Band or Public Figure
- Cause or Community
Step 3: Choose a category that matches your business. Then fill out some basic info about your business.
- Agree to the Facebook Pages Terms.
- Click Get Started
Step 4: Optimize and start connecting
- Add a description and your website address, if you have one.
- Add a profile picture from your computer or device.
- You can also add your Page to your Favorites on your Facebook account, so you’ll have easy access to it when you log in.
- With Reach More People, you can immediately start reaching new audiences.
- Click Save Info and your Page is ready to go.
Twitter is an online social networking service that enables users to send and read short 140-character messages called “tweets”. Registered users can read and post tweets, but unregistered users can only read them. This makes twitter like a news feed of information from your favorite influencers, celebrities, brands and people! It is a way to connect with people and have conversations while also cutting out the fluff due to the 140 character limit.
How To Create A Profile On Twitter
- @username – Find a username that works best for your business. For example if your app is called @Perch and that is taken on twitter, try @PerchApp
- Profile Photo – This should be a clear, high quality picture of your logo or you. Try to be creative with your logo instead of just any .jpg you can find. Example: If you are a surf shop you can take a high quality picture of your companies’ sticker on a surfboard and make that your profile photo
- Bio – This should be enticing and define what you are and what you post about. You need to quickly get people’s attention and keep it.
- URL – Should always lead to your website!!
- Header image – Should be optimized to fit perfectly for maximum resolution. Try using Canva.
- Pinned Tweet – Pin a special offer to make sure that it doesn’t get buried in the the clutter
Instagram is a photo-sharing platform that allows you to post a picture or a 15 second video and add a description with tags, location tagging and also allowing you to share that picture/video on other social media sites. Instagram is owned by Facebook so you can link your business’ Facebook page with your Instagram feed to engage with your customers on multiple platforms.
How To Create An Account On Instagram
- Download the Instagram app for iOS from the App Store, Android from Google Play Store or Windows Phone from the Windows Phone Store.
- Once the app is installed, tap to open it.
- Tap Sign Up, then enter your email address and tap Next or tap Log In with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
- If you register with email, create a username and password, fill out your profile info and then tap Done. If you register with Facebook, you’ll be prompted to log into your Facebook account if you’re currently logged out.
How To Create An Account On Pinterest
- Go to www.pinterest.com and fill out the information form on the page
- Once you get to your page after filling out all of the information required by Pinterest you can then edit your information by clicking the ‘Edit Profile’ button here:
- Once you have your Profile picture added, your description filled out and your website added you can start using Pinterest to get familiar with it.
How To Create An Account On YouTube
Youtube is a little different of a sign up process than other social media networks. YouTube is owned by Google and so you need a Google account to access all of Google’s tools like Youtube. Just sign into your Google account and the setup should be easy and guided after that. Here is a quick guide from their blog that pretty much sums it up.
Social media can lead to creating a community around your business, it can lead to increased user experiences with your business and will turn into brand loyalty and repeating raving customers. But again, it will not come easy seeing how much work social media actually is we have found this method that will really simplify everything for you in a very easy to understand way. Here are some ways to keeping all of this information on your social media in one place to be more efficient and organized:
Having any questions?
Have particular questions about how social media can help your business?